4.20.2008

ETP or Else!

In Ecclesiastes 11:9-10, Solomon provides provocative council for his primary audience -- young people. He commands us to rejoice, to follow the impulses of our heart. He requires the young person to "follow the impulses of your heart and the desires of your eyes." He wisely instructs us to enjoy life, fulfilling our desires. Initially we think, "Yes! This is the command I have been looking for!" What a typical response for young people who are looking for someone to tell them what they want to hear.

Solomon, however, follows this command with a warning, "know that God will bring you to judgment for all these things." We are to remember that judgment is coming! Pastor Higgins made a keen observation. He pointed out that the warning of judgment immediately followed the command to rejoice in life. Why would God, writing through Solomon, instruct us to enjoy life then warn us of pending judgment if we do not?

The answer is invigorating! The solution is astonishing! The panacea is humbling! His conclusion: we are commanded to enjoy life because God's Glory depends upon it!

I still remember when the weight of this biblical truth moored to my understanding. It was devastating! If God's glory depends upon my enjoyment of Him, then I had not, at that point in my Christian life, glorified Him a SINGLE DAY! I had been a Christian for about seven years. My understanding was fed from John Piper's book "When I Don't Desire God." God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. My enjoyment of Christ brings God the most glory because I enjoy what I love. God is the only one deserving all of my enjoyment and therefore all of my love. Then, He overflows my cup so that His love abounds to others.

I am thankful to God for Solomon and his wise council. May God be enjoyed and loved by all His creation!

No comments: