9.16.2008

Thoughts on Joy

It has been a few months since my last post. The summers are always my busiest time. In addition to an already busy season, our family, together with my wife's parents, vacationed for 17 days! Our trip to visit my parents and some other parts of the country was half a month well spent. When we were six hours from home, my father-in-law's van blew two head gaskets in La Grande, Oregon! While not out first choice in spontaneity, the temporary set back was fuel to the fire of joy! I mean, it was not my van that was in need of repair. It was definitely easier for me than for Papa! However, it was an opportunity for the Lord to provide via the time of one of my best friends. I would link to his blog, but he rarely posts! Haha! Now that is the pot calling the kettle black! Anyway, it turned out to be a rather joyous ocasion, as far as I can remember.

The summer was effectively shortened by two and a half weeks! I am still reeling from the effects at work. I do see it as an answer to prayer, though. The Lord enabled me to work with focus and diligence. Through His great grace the effort has carried over into the school year. He has also brought about much joy!

The Lord has taught me much regarding joy in the last three years. His word is replete with joy-laden commands. The Solomonic writing of Ecclesiastes teaches us to Enjoy The Process. After all, life is hard and then you die. You might as well rejoice in what you have been given! Pretty sound advice from the wisest man who ever lived! It sure beats bitterness from dwelling on your circumstances.

Then there is the guy named Paul. I mean, what is his deal? He was flogged and beaten how many times? He was shipwrecked and left for dead! Yet he commands us to rejoice always. In case you don't think he is serious, he says it again -- Rejoice! Pretty sound advice from probably the most Christ-like Christian who ever lived.

I confess I am intrigued by James. Here we have the brother of Jesus. Perhaps no man spent more time with the Son of God than James. It is believed that Jesus began his public ministry in His thirtieth year. Assuming James was born before Christ was five, James would have spent twenty-five years of his life with the Messiah! Imagine, for a moment, what it was like being the second boy behind Jesus.

Can you imagine Joseph disciplining James for some disobedience. Perhaps he would say, "James, why can't you be more like your Brother, Jesus? He didn't disobey me. Why can't you be more like your Brother?" If James had a rebellious whit, he might have replied along the lines of, "Father, He is the Son of God! He never sins! How can I be like Him? You know, Dad, you could learn a lot from Him too."

After the death and resurrection of Christ, James became a leader in the Jerusalem Church. Paul spent some time with him when he visited Jerusalem. In fact, James seems to be the one providing leadership in Acts 15, where Paul and Barnabas were seeking instruction regarding questions of the Gentiles.

After some time, James writes a letter to the believers scattered thoughout the Roman Empire. The believers to whom he writes were experiencing hardship and persecution. The very first thing he writes to those suffering away from their home: Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials! WHAT? Has he lost his mind? I don't know about you, but that is about the last thing I want to hear. Please, give me relief. Give me a strategy for defending myself. But to consider it all joy? Don't you just want to say, "James, where did that come from?"

I believe James would calmly reply, "It came from the Messiah, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. It came from Jesus -- my Master and my Brother!" After all, it was Christ, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising its shame, and sat down at the right hand of God! Jesus is our example of enjoying the process! It is He who enables us to joy in Him in spite of our circumstances.

We have the command from Soloman. We have the command from Paul and James. We also have the example from Jesus. So why don't we have more joy? The answer is found starting at the beginning of Hebrews 12:2 -- Looking to Jesus. When our focus is on the Father's Beloved Son, joy will be a byproduct of our obedience. Regardless of life's trials, The Lord is waiting, providing joy for those who seek Him.

No comments: